Monday, August 30, 2010

IPA Chili

Even though it's been hot out, I've been wanting to make something spicy as well as an excuse to use my smoker again. I figured that I'd whip up some smoked chili with some of my freshly-bottled second batch of The Captain's Nephew IPA. I didn't measure anything exactly, but it was approximately as follows:

In the smoker over cherry wood:
3.5lb beef round roast rubbed with white and black pepper, "regular", ancho and chipotle chili powders, and a bit of cinnamon. I smoked this for 3 hours at 250-325 (was having temp control issues) until it was done to about medium. I then cut it into small cubes to add to the pot.

In the pot:
1T olive oil
1 large yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
2 bunches green onion
Smoked beef roast from above
1 each green/red peppers, diced
2 sliced celery stalks
2 diced jalapenos
1 16oz can pinto beans
1 16oz can dark kidney beans
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 28oz can tomato sauce
2T chili powder
1T ancho chili powder
1T chipotle chili powder
1t white pepper
1t black pepper
1t cayenne pepper
1t cinnamon
1 12oz bottle of The Captain's Nephew IPA or other American IPA (Short's Huma Lupa Licious would be a good substitute)

Saute the onions/garlic in olive oil until translucent, then stir in the rest and simmer with the cover on for 2-3 hours. This packs medium to medium-high heat depending on your taste buds, so you may want to cut back on a few of the spices.

1 comment: